A Kitchen Makeover That Will Make Over Your Waistline
For most of us, the kitchen is the home’s primary gathering place, whether we’re on our own or hosting a party: People tend to congregate in the kitchen. It’s where we find not only nourishment but also comfort and fellowship. And it’s also where we can inspire ourselves to change for the better.
I look at certain rooms in the house as directly relating to certain areas of my life. When I think about Health/Wellbeing, the kitchen is the place in my home that represents not only where I’m at but also where I’m going. Your kitchen can be even more than a gathering space – it can be where you change your life. It can show you were to go. And just as I have made my kitchen a centerpiece for change, so can you. It’s easy to create this through the Design Your Home For Success process.
Your HomeSpace and your MindSpace are connected. One directly influences the other. If you want to make over your kitchen so that it supports your efforts to live a healthier life, consider asking yourself these questions:
- What do you use your kitchen for? To cook? To entertain? To collect stuff? Is it just a place to store your beer? Start to look at your kitchen in a new light as a place that represents your Health/Wellbeing. When you begin to consider your kitchen in this way, when you focus on what you actually use your kitchen for, then it’s easier for you to take responsibility for your health at home.
- How fresh are the foods in your kitchen? Do you buy fresh produce? Or do you rely on canned or frozen goods? Fresh food gives a higher vibe to your kitchen and to your health.
- Does your kitchen color scheme feature too much red, orange or yellow? Red, orange and yellow are actually the colors that stimulate your appetite! This is the reason why fast food chains use them. If you want to use these colors do so in moderation. Opt for neutral earth tones that are inspired by a natural location you love.
- What sort of foods are on display in your kitchen? These are the foods you can see on the counter and table. Rather than a bowlful of candy, as I’ve seen in many kitchens, try displaying a bowl of fresh fruit or veg. This not only looks great but it’s a perfect Focus Point Anchor for Health/Wellbeing, as well as being a better snack option than junk food.
- Do you have any healthy cookbooks or magazines on display? Even if you don’t cook often, the titles and photos on these books and the headlines and images onthese magazines affirm and remind you of what you want.
- When was the last time you de-cluttered your kitchen? Remove out-of-date foods, get rid of junk food and throw out unused, broken or chipped cookware and china.
- Do you have any photos of yourself looking healthy on display? A photo where you look great (even if it was from your youth) is a great Focus Point Anchor for Health/Wellbeing.
- How’s the lighting in your kitchen? A brighter kitchen is a healthier kitchen, especially in the morning. That said, avoid any harsh overhead lighting, such as fluorescent tubes. You want to look and feel great while you’re cooking!
- Do you have live plants in your kitchen? A living plant, or a box of growing herbs, is a great Focus Point Anchor for Health/Wellbeing. Avoid plastic and fake plants that give off a low vibe.
- What kind of art do you have on the walls? Displaying a natural landscape, a painting or a photograph of a destination that inspires fitness (maybe a beachscape if you love the ocean or a mountain if you love hiking) is a great Focus Point for motivating exercise, and for reminding you to book that next trip.
Use these considerations to help you Anchor the Health/Wellbeing that you want in your life into your kitchen. Remember, a healthier HomeSpace will inspire a healthier MindSpace and help you to achieve all your fitness goals and dreams.
Can you think of a friend’s kitchen where you saw wonderful things on display that gave off a great, healthful vibe? What about that kitchen would you choose for yours? Share your thoughts in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you.